Employee Self Serve Application FAQs
Basic Application Information
Accessing Employee Self Serve
- How do I access the Employee Self Serve module?
- What account should I use to log in to the Self Serve Applications?
- Can I access the Self Serve Applications from home?
- How to Install the Virtual Private Network (VPN) Software
- How to Run the Virtual Private Network (VPN) Software
- Can I access the Self Service Applications with any browser?
Updating Personal Data and Withholding Information
- How is my privacy maintained?
- What if my employee data is incorrect?
- Who should I call if I have a problem?
- I have legally changed my name but cannot update this field through Employee Self Service. What should I do?
- When will my address change take effect?
- What if I have an out-of-state or New York City area mailing address?
- Why does it indicate Single for Tax Withholding when I am Married?
- What if I choose to claim Exempt from Withholding?
- What if I want my State withholding to be different from my Federal?
- How do I handle new bank accounts?
- When will my Direct Deposit change become effective?
- Can I have Direct Deposit to any account?
- Is there a limit on the number of Direct Deposit accounts?
- Why is Priority of each account so important?
Historical Salary and Paystub Information
- How far back can I view my employment and salary history?
- What if my employment information is not accurate?
- When will my paystub information become available each payday?
- How long will my paystub information be kept online?
- Can I print my paystub?
- Can I save my paystub to the hard drive of my computer?
- Can I print my W2 information and submit with my income tax return?
- How far back can I see my W2 information?
Benefits Related Information
- I participate in other RIT benefits. Why donít I see them listed?
- How is the life and AD&D insurance coverage calculated?
- What is the "GTL Imp Inc" item on the earnings portion of my payslip?
- How is the LTD coverage calculated?
- Can I make a change in my benefit elections?
- Can I make a qualified mid-year change on-line?
What is Employee Self Serve?
Through the Employee Self Serve application all regular RIT employees are able to view and change selected personal data within the HR/Payroll applications including personal and employment information, their paystub, banking and tax withholding information.
Note: Information on the Oracle Financial Applications (e.g. Purchasing, General Ledger) can be found at: http://finweb.rit.edu/controller/oracle.html.
Why would I want (or need) to access Employee Self Serve?
Utilizing the functions available with the Employee Self Serve application allows you to make changes to selected personal information online, eliminating the need to complete paper forms. In addition, you may view and print your current paystub as soon as the payroll process for the period is complete as well as view and print paystubs for prior pay periods.
How do I access the Employee Self Serve module?
You may access the Employee Self Serve module through the web at http://myinfo.rit.edu. (Note: This link is not for accessing the Oracle Financial Applications (e.g. Purchasing, General Ledger). It is only to access Employee Self Service.) When you enter this URL, you will be taken directly to the Oracle applications Login screen.
RIT Employee Self-Service:
- The RIT Employee Self-Service responsibility allows you to change your address or phone number by clicking on "My Personal Information".
- To view your salary or employment history click on "My Employment Information".
- To view a current or past paystub click on "My Paystub".
- To change your direct deposit banking information click on "My Banking Information".
- To change your tax withholding information click on "My Tax Withholding Information".
RIT Workflow User
- The "My Worklist" page will give you access to all notifications you have received, such as requisition approval notification, changes to your payroll information, or notification of an Oracle report that was run.
- Clicking on "My Preferences" takes you to a parameter screen which allows you to change the name that is displayed on your home page, (Known as), the format you receive electronic mail notifications, and your password.
- To define rules for your automatic notifications click on "My Notification Rules".
What account should I use to log in to the Self Serve Applications?
Each new employee at RIT receives a User Name and Password to access the employee self serve application when they are hired. This information is mailed to the employeeís home.
If you do not know your Oracle User Name and/or Password, call the ITS Help Desk at ext. 475-HELP (475-4357). To protect your personal information, you will be asked to provide your employee number (itís available on your pay stub). If you go to the ITS Help Desk (Gannett Building-7B, room 1113), you will be asked to show your RIT Employee ID.
If you already have access to Oracle Purchasing, General Ledger, or Accounts Payable, use the same User ID and Password for the Self Serve applications.
You do not have to install the Java plugin to access the Self Serve modules. The Java plugin is required to access the Oracle Financial applications only.
Note: security for self serve is separate from the DCE security used for email at RIT. At this time, the Oracle Applications security does not interface with RITís DCE security. There are plans to co-ordinate these two security applications in the future.
Can I access the Self Serve Applications from home?
- Using your Internet browser, go to URL: http://myinfo.rit.edu.
- If you are using a Macintosh computer, you must use Safari for your internet browser.
- The Oracle Application's login page will display. Enter your Oracle User ID and password and click on the "Login" button. This will take you to your Oracle home page.
When do I need to install the Virtual Private Network (VPN) Software?
VPN is only required to use the Oracle Financial Applications (e.g. Purchasing, General Ledger) from a remote computer or off-campus location. It is not needed to access Employee Self Service.
If you still want to install the Virtual Private Network (VPN) Software:
How to Install the Virtual Private Network (VPN) Software
(Note: Required only to access the Oracle Financial Applications)
If your operating system on your home computer is Windows 95, 98, NT, ME, 2000 or XP, you can download the VPN client from the ITS Web site: http://www.rit.edu/its/services/vpn. You will be asked to provide your computer account username and password (DCE account) to access the software. If you need assistance, call the ITS Help Desk at 475-HELP or 475-4357.
If you use a Mac OS X (10.1 or later) at home, you can download the VPN client from the ITS Web site: : http://www.rit.edu/its/services/vpn/. You will be asked to provide your RIT computer account username and password (DCE account) to access the software. If you need assistance, call the ITS Help Desk at 475-HELP or 475-4357.
If you are using Mac OS 9.x, you can request a VPN setup from CSS Desktop Support: You will need to:
- Schedule an appointment with CSS Desktop Support, through the ITS Help Desk at 475-4357.
- Bring in your computer (just the CPU in most cases).
- Be present for the final phase of logging in with you account password and be shown how to make it all work.
ITS will not install the VPN client on Mac OS 8, or older, operating systems. ITS recommends upgrading to Mac OS X, if your system requirements allow it.
How to Run the Virtual Private Network (VPN) Software
NOTE: RIT VPN must be installed on your machine in order to proceed. If you have not installed RIT VPN please begin with the above instructions on "How to Install the Virtual Private Network (VPN) Software".
Find the RIT VPN Client application and run it
- Windows users: You will find the "RIT VPN client" folder in your programs list off the start menu. Click on the "RIT VPN client" represented by the yellow lock in that folder to begin the sign on process.
- Mac OS X users: You will find "VPN Client" in your applications folder. Double click it to run the sign on process.
- Once the RIT VPN Client window opens, choose "remote-VPN" as your connection option and click "Connect"
- Log in with your RIT Computer Account username and password. These are the same credentials you use to log into mail, myrit, etc.
- Once connected, VPN will run in the background. Using a supported browser you may now go to http://mybiz.rit.edu to connect to Oracle.
- Don't forget to "disconnect" the VPN after you exit the Oracle applications. To disconnect, right click on the little "lock" icon at the bottom right corner of your screen, and click on "Disconnect". To exit, right click on the "lock" icon again, but this time click on "Exit".
Can I access the Self Service Applications with any browser?
For more information on the system requirements, go to: http://finweb.rit.edu/controller/oracle/appsetupprogram.html
How is my privacy maintained?
Your User Name and Password ensure that only you can access your personal records. (See Can I access the Self Serve Applications from home?")
What if my employee data is incorrect?
For questions regarding information displayed in your Employee Self Service records, please contact your College or Divisionís Human Resource Assistant. The names are listed on the Human Resource web page:
For questions regarding data security please contact the Finance & Administration Customer Support Team at ext. 475-4752.
Who should I call if I have a problem?
I forgot my Password
Call the ITS Help Desk at ext. 475-HELP (475-4357). You will be asked to provide your employee number (it's available on your pay stub). If you visit the Help Desk in the Gannett Building (7B), room 1113, you will be asked to show your RIT Employee ID.
I donít know my User Name...
Call the ITS Help Desk at ext. 475-HELP. You will be asked to provide your employee number (itís available on your pay stub). If you visit the Help Desk in the Gannett Building (7B), room 1113, you will be asked to show your RIT Employee ID.
I received a "Your login is invalid" message...
Restart your browser and sign on again. If you continue to receive this message contact the ITS Help Desk and ask them to check your User Name to make sure it is still active. If your User Name is active, ask the Help Desk to reset your Password.
I received an "expired password" message...
A new screen will appear where you will be asked to change your password. Enter your old password in the first field and then select a new password and enter it in the next two fields. To save your changes click on the "Save" button and you will be taken to your home page.
I didn't receive my Oracle User Name and password...
If you are a new employee and have not received your Oracle User Name and Password at your home address, call the Customer Support Team at ext. 475-4752.
I received an Invalid User Name message...
Call or stop by the ITS Help Desk to verify your Oracle User Name.
I am unable to log-in to my home page...
If you are having a problem that is not related to your Oracle User Name or Password, please contact the Customer Support Team at ext. 475-4752.
For Oracle User Name or Password issues contact the ITS Help Desk for assistance. Call ext. 475-HELP or visit the ITS Help Desk in the Gannett Building (7B), room 1113.
I received a "no responsibilities found" message...
Restart your browser and sign on again. If you continue to receive this message contact the ITS Help Desk and ask them to reset your password.
My Personal Information
I have legally changed my name but cannot update this field through Employee Self Service. What should I do?
Your name can only be changed by Human Resources after presenting your new Social Security Card. Human Resources is located on the 5th floor, Eastman Building 01.
When will my address change take effect?
Immediately. However, if the payroll checks have already been printed for the current pay period, your check will be mailed to the old address.
What if I have an out-of-state or New York City area mailing address?
Due to payroll tax implications, you need to contact HR directly to process an Out-Of-State or New York City area mailing address.
My Tax Withholding Information
Why does it indicate Single for Tax Withholding when I am Married?
This is your filing tax status not your marital status. IRS tax tables are utilized against your tax withholding setup to determine the amount to withhold from your pay. If you increase your exemptions, you will have less tax deducted. If you decrease your exemptions, you will have more tax withheld. Click on the W4 Form link to access the worksheet that may be helpful to you in completing this form.
What if I choose to claim Exempt from Withholding?
The Payroll Office is obligated to forward W4 forms claiming either Exempt Status or more than 10 exemptions to the IRS. If you are claiming Exempt or more than 10 allowances, it will be necessary to forward a signed copy of Form W4 to the Payroll Office for processing.
What if I want my State withholding to be different from my Federal?
To indicate a different withholding for state, complete Form IT-2104. Forms are available from any of the following:
- Controller's Website: http://finweb.rit.edu/Controller
- Payroll Office Ė 6th Floor Eastman Building 01
- New York State Department of Taxation website: http://www.tax.state.ny.us
My Banking Information
How do I handle new bank accounts?
In order to set up a direct deposit to a new account, you must first open the account with your financial institution. When you sign up for direct deposit to a new account, a zero dollar transaction will be sent to the financial institution when the next payroll is processed. This is done to verify the new account information. Once this "prenote" process has been completed, the actual deposit will be made in the next payroll period.
When will my Direct Deposit change become effective?
Current Accounts: Changes to an account currently setup in the payroll system will become effective when the next payroll is processed. An example would be increasing or decreasing the dollar amount of your direct deposit
Adding A New Account: Direct Deposit to a new account will take 2 pay periods. See How do I handle new bank accounts?
Deleting an Account: Removing an account currently setup in the payroll system will become effective with the next payroll processed. However, do not close your account until the next payday has passed to prevent your deposit from rejecting. Once you have verified all deposits have been made to the account, you can then safely close the account with your financial institution.
Can I have Direct Deposit to any account?
Yes. Direct deposit is available with any financial institution in any state. You are not restricted to local banks, credit unions etc.
Is there a limit on the number of Direct Deposit accounts?
Yes Ė you can have up to 5 direct deposit accounts.
Why is Priority of each account so important?
The priority of each account determines which account will be processed first, second etc. For example, Priority 1 will be processed first. Priority 2 will be processed second etc. If you have your Net Pay deposited, be sure it will be the last account processed (i.e. has the highest priority number).
My Employment Information
How far back can I view my employment and salary history?
Employment information is available from 1999 with the conversion to the Oracle HR/Payroll System or your hire date whichever is later.
What if my employment information is not accurate?
Please bring it to the attention of your supervisor.. He/she should contact HR with questions.
When will my paystub information become available each payday?
Your paystub information will generally be available one business day before payday.
How long will my paystub information be kept online?
You will be able to view all pay periods in the current calendar year and the last payday for the prior calendar year.
Can I print my paystub?
Yes Ė simply click on the Print Icon at the top of your screen.
Can I save my paystub to the hard drive of my computer?
No Ė this functionality is not available.
My W2 Information
Can I print my W2 information and submit with my income tax return?
W-2 Information may be viewed online and reprinted if needed. Follow these simple steps:
- Sign on to the Oracle applications
- On the Main Menu, select RIT Employee Self-Service
- On your Personal Home Page, click on "My W2 Information"
If you would like to view a previous W-2, simply click on the down arrow under the heading Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement, choose the year and click Go. The screen will refresh with the desired W2 information.
The online form also includes a detailed instruction sheet explaining codes and box contents.
How far back can I see my W2 information?
You can view your W2 information online from tax year 2001. If you need a duplicate W2 prior to 2001, contact the Payroll Department at email@example.com.
I participate in other RIT benefits. Why donít I see them listed?
The current My Benefits area may not show all the benefits you have elected. Benefits that are not shown include the Basic and Voluntary Retirement Plans, long term care insurance, New York College Savings Program, U.S. Savings Bonds, and VIP Services (auto/homeowners insurance). You can, however, view the payroll deduction amounts for most of these programs in the My Paystub area of RIT Employee Self-Service. Your contribution to the New York State College Savings Program is shown as a direct deposit amount in the My Banking Information area as State Street Bank and Trust Company.
How is the life and AD&D insurance coverage calculated?
Your Basic, Supplemental, and Dependent AD&D insurance coverage is based on your salary as of January 1. Salary changes after January 1 do not impact your insurance coverage until the following January 1.
What is the "GTL Imp Inc" item on the earnings portion of my payslip?
Under current Internal Revenue Services (IRS) regulations, the value of your Basic and Supplemental Term Life Insurance in excess of $50,000 will be taxable to you. This taxable amount, called Imputed Income, is determined under IRS guidelines and based on your age at the end of the calendar year. The Imputed Income is calculated during the payroll processing process and will show in the earnings section of your payslip as "GTL Imp Inc." If you have Supplemental Life Insurance, your GTL amount is reduced by your after-tax contributions. While the GTL amount is in the earnings section of your payslip, it is not being paid to you; it is being added to your taxable income so it will be reflected on your Form W-2. Federal, Social Security, Medicare, and state taxes are withheld from your paycheck for this additional income. You should also note that it is not part of your base salary, nor is it part of your salary for benefits purposes (i.e., there are no Retirement Plan contributions for this GTL amount). There is no imputed income on Dependent Life Insurance.
How is the LTD coverage calculated?
Your Basic and Supplemental LTD insurance coverage is based on your salary as of January 1. Salary changes after January 1 do not impact your insurance coverage until the following January 1.
Can I make a change in my benefit elections?
In general, once you have enrolled in the Plan, you cannot change your elections or withdraw from the Plan until the beginning of the next plan year. However, pursuant to federal regulations, you may be able to make mid-year election changes if you meet certain criteria. Refer to http://finweb.rit.edu/HumanResources/benefits/ in the Medical section for more details.
Can I make a qualified mid-year change on-line?
No, this functionality is not available. If you have a qualifying event and want to make a mid-year change, complete an RIT Benefits Enrollment/Change Form (http://finweb.rit.edu/HumanResources/forms/RITBenEnrollChange2.pdf) and return to the Human Resources Department within 31 days of the qualifying event. If you are making a change in your medical and/or dental, you should also complete and return to Human Resources an RIT Health Care Enrollment/Change Form (http://finweb.rit.edu/HumanResources/Forms/meddenapprevppo2003.pdf).